Reed and I had some new friends over for dinner tonight. Since food is so inexpensive, Shannon and I went to the mall to get take out. All week long it has been getting more and more humid and I kept waiting for the rain I had heard about. The sky was clear when we went in, but as we went to the exit we saw a crowd of people. I didn't think anything of it since it's almost Chinese New Year so the mall was packed like the states on Christmas Eve.
Suddenly, we felt a gust of wind enter the mall and on the wind came a fine mist. As we turned the corner to leave, we saw the downpour of rain! I see where the saying of raining cats and dogs came. The rain could drench you in less than five minutes. Shannon and I decided to purchase an umbrella since hers was in the car and she is seven months pregnant. We went to several stores and asked, received a quizzical look, motioned to make an umbrella shape over our hands, they would ask another employee and they'd send us upstairs or downstairs, we'd look find nothing, ask for help again only to repeat the same cycle. Finally we gave up. Shannon gave me her food and phone and she braved the rain.
It was magnificent watching the powerful rain come down and then the sky would light up with lightning. Oh, how I miss lightning storms! Finally after two hours of us leaving we arrived back home. (Our new home is a 5 minute drive/ 15 minute walk from the mall.) The traffic was so frustrating, at one point we had several cars cut in. Shannon looked at me with a smile and said "Welcome to Malaysia!" We both had a chuckle. It actually was quite fun minus the fact that we had three hungry toddlers and two husbands waiting for us.
3 comments:
Must have been something considering someone from Oregon is commenting on the rain. Oregon won't be anything after this.
Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet! I love how the most mundane experiences (like going to the mall) become exciting adventures in foreign countries. :)
I think driving in a foreign country would drive me batty. I don't like to drive in traffic or if I don't really know where I'm going. I'm glad you aren't missing out on the rain though.
Post a Comment